FINALLY got to sharing how we curl our hair with a straightener. We have been curling our hair like this for at least 4-5 years, and swear by it! Unlike using a regular curling iron, using a straightener leaves your hair feeling silky and smooth, all while giving you perfect curls that last all day long!
What we especially love about using the straightener is that even the next day, your hair will still have a ton of body.
We had a hard time getting the hang of this, and would spend hours watching YouTube videos [do not laugh at this link, but we filmed a TERRIBLE video of how to do this when we were in college] on how to do this properly. After denting our hair, burning fingers and necks, we finally got it down and can basically curl our hair like this with our eyes clothes.
There are tons of methods on how to do this and every person has their own way they feel comfortable holding the straightener, but this is the way that works best for us!
I still had some curls/wave left over from the previous day, so above is the “before”.
- Grab a flat iron that has slightly rounded edges around the plate [we are using this straightener & love it!]
- With the flat iron, grab a small section of hair (careful not to clamp down on your hair tightly as it will dent your hair from the heat).
- Lift the piece of hair below the flat iron and loop it over the flat iron.
- Keeping the hair over the flat iron by holding it, use your other hand to rotate the flat iron about 180 degrees [notice the direction change in my hand].
- Slowly pull the flat iron down your hair, pulling away from your scalp [sometimes I use my other hand to hold both sides of the flat iron].
- Once you finishing pulling all the way through the end of your hair, you should be left with a nice and smooth curl.
- The slower you move the flat iron, the tighter the curl will be.
- If your hair gets dented, simply try the curl again.
- Continue with the same method throughout your head.
- Once I am done with all of my hair, I like to gently brush through the curls to soften them a little bit.
- I finish by using this smoothing serum to tame down any loose hairs on top of my head and using this hairspray to seal everything in.
Here is the finished product before I brushed the curls out a little!
I promise, once you get the hang of it, you won’t do anything else to your hair!